Dicksboro GAA Club, founded in 1909, takes its name from a townsland about one mile west of the city on the Ballycallan road. According to Paddy O' Donoghue, a founder member of the club, lads and lassies from the Walkin Street known as the Kilns used to travel out to Dicksboro on Sunday evenings for a dance with young people from the Ballycallan / Kilmanagh area. While waiting for the dance to begin, a game of hurling would be played. After a number of months, somebody suggested forming and affiliating a hurling club consisting of regular attenders at the informal gatherings.
This was enthusiastically received and at a meeting arranged in Lennons, the only house in the townsland, the new hurling club was formed. The decision was taken to name the club after the area and the Dicksboro Club was born.
Dicksboro entered a team in the junior championship of 1910. This they duly won and the following year the club entered the senior championship where it was to remain until 1960, winning three senior titles- 1923, 1926 and 1950 - during that period. In 1961, Dicksboro failed to field or enter a team and this remained the case until 1969 when the club was reformed and a minor team was entered. The following year a junior team took the field and from that date the club has blossomed into what it is today.
In 1980, 150 members attended a meeting in the Metropole Hotel at which the decision was taken to acquire club grounds and premises. A development committee was set up and following several years of intense fund-raising Dicksboro officially opened its new premises in Palmerstown in June 1990.
Our centenary book, Up the Boro, written by Gerry O'Neill can still be purchased.